The following documents will have to be included in the online application. You will find all relevant details on the specificities (length, file size, etc,) of the documents listed below after registering on our application platform. We therefore kindly ask you to refrain from inquiries on application documents before accessing the online application form.
You can revise your application before submitting the complete application dossier and hence complete the application process in several steps. Please note that the referees who are supposed to submit a reference letter will not be informed before the application has been submitted. Deadline for the upload of reference letters is December 15, 2019.
- A Curriculum Vitae (in English)
- A Statement of Purpose of approx. 2 pages (in English)
- Copies of Earned Degrees/Diplomas/Graduation Certificates (High School, BA, MA, etc.)
Please note: Applicants who have not obtained their MA/MSc degree by the deadline must provide a transcript of records specifying that the coursework for the master's degree has been completed. In addition, applicants must provide a written confirmation that the MA/MSc thesis has been submitted. The final grade of the MA thesis/program must be sent to the attention of the GSNAS office before the interviews. The official diploma for the final degree (MA, MSc) must be submitted no later than May 31, 2020 in order to ensure the admission by the respective school/department (Fachbereich).
- An Outline of the Dissertation Project of 8-10 pages (in English)
- A work plan/timeline (in English)
- A Writing Sample based on a chapter of the M.A. thesis or an already published journal article (in English or German)
- Proof of Language Proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, CAS, CPE)
All applicants who are neither native English speakers nor have earned a degree at a university with English as language of instruction are required to submit certification of their English proficiency: minimum TOEFL scores of 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based) and 100 (internet-based) or equivalent minimum CAE (A and B), CPE (A, B, C) or IELTS (7.0) scores. A degree in North American Studies or English Language and Literature, earned at a German university is not sufficient as a proof of English language skills. It will only be accepted if the entire curriculum was taught in English. In addition, stays/semesters abroad will not be accepted as a substitute for a language test.
- Two Recent Letters of Reference (to be uploaded separately by the respective referee until Dec 15, 2019)