Special Subject Collection North American Newspapers
The library of the John F. Kennedy Institute has been collecting North American newspapers supported by the German Research Foundation since 1975. In 2011 this collection was transformed into the special subject collection “North American Newspapers” (SSG 7.261) within the German Research Foundations special subject collection program..
The Special Subject Collection “North American Newspapers” comprises newspapers and newsmagazines published in the U.S. or Canada was funded by the German Research Foundation until 2015. A limited number of newspaper subscriptions will be funded as part of the project Specialized information service Anglo-American Culture.The library offers extensive holdings for more than 1.500 historical and modern newspapers, including newspapers published by German exile communities in the U.S.
All the newspapers are archived on microfilm and made available via interlibrary loan and in our rooms.
The library also collects the newspapers indices that make the content of the newspapers searchable. Electronic access to newspaper content is possible via databases as LexisNexis or ProQuest Historical newspapers.
How to find newspapers on microfilm
- All newspapers can be found in Primo. Go to the tab “Zeitschriften” and type in the beginning of the title of the newspaper you are looking for-
- You can find an alphabetical list of all newspapers available at JFKI library at the Virtual Library of Anglo-American Culture and History
- The newpapers research portal Zefys offers a search for newspapers indexed by region/area/city
- The U.S. Newspaper Directory can help identify what titles exist for a specific place and time, and how to access them.
How to access current electronic newspapers in the FU-network
In the „News“-sector of the database you can access current and back issue full-texts of more than 2500 American and foreign newspapers, 1000 magazines and journals.
You can access all particular newspaper titles via LexisNexis, the FU catalog or PRIMO.
- Newsweek 2013-
Access to the original online edition in the rooms of the library. Please ask for more information at the circulation desk.
- America’s Historical Newspapers / EAN
- The Nation Digital Archive
- The New Republic Archive
- Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers / NCNP
- Historical Newspapers
- Los Angeles Times
- New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- Washington Post
- Boston Globe
- Chicago Tribune
Free accessible digitization project by the Library of Congress
More information on special subject collections: Webis