Springe direkt zu Inhalt

External Funding


The German Academic Exchange Service (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) runs over 100 programs which allow graduate und undergraduate students as well as post-docs and scholars to go abroad. It funds individual scholarships - short-term and academic year - as well as group programs, internships, academic research groups, guest professors and lecturers. Further information can be found the DAAD website.

Applications have to be submitted online to the DAAD; prospective applicants may also contact the Office of International Student Mobility of the Freie Universität to receive information on available programs and the application procedure.


Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst

Kennedyallee 50
53175 Bonn
Postfach 20 04 04,  53134 Bonn
Tel.: 0228 882 0
E-Mail: postmaster@daad.de


The US-German Fulbright-Program honors the principles of cultural understanding propagated by Senator J. William Fulbright. Approximately 400 scholarships are issued to German scholars, students, teachers and administrators including full and part scholarships as well as travel grants for students, post-docs and junior faculty.

Further information can be obtained from the Office of International Student Mobility of the Freie Universität or on the program's website (where you also find application forms).


Fulbright Kommission

Oranienburger Straße 13-14
10178 Berlin
Tel: 030/28442-0
Fax 030/284443-42
E-mail: fulkom@fulbright.de


Students may also organize their study abroad individually and directly through North American universities. Iif they are accepted by North American universities into their programs they can apply for additional funding through Auslands-BAföG. Everyone who receives Bafög in Germany is allowed to study abroad fro one term or one academic year.

Students, who are not recipients of BAföG in Germany and plan to study for up to a year outside the EU can also apply for funding through Auslands-BAföG. If granted Auslands-BAföG will cover travel expenses, health insurance, tuition fees (up tp a max. of 4500 €/year) and pay a monthly allowance for the differential in living expenses (varies from country to country).

Students are advised to submit their applications as early as possible, at the latest 6 months before going abroad. The application should not be sent to the local BAföG office but the one responsible for the respective country of destination. Further information can be found here.

Lecture and Course Catalog
Online-Studienfachwahl-Assistent (OSA)