Information on General Professional Skills Courses
(Studienbereich Allgemeine Berufsvorbereitung, abbreviated ABV)
Please read before making an appointment!
During your BA studies at Freie Universität Berlin you have to earn 180 credits: 150 Credits in your field of study (or the core subject and separate modules) and 30 credits earned in general professional skills (ABV).
ABV courses include a mandatory professional internship (in Germany or abroad; before or during your studies) and six specific skill areas with seminars that you can do in addition (you can also complete the module entirely via internships).
Mandatory professional internship
(min. 15 credits needed, max. 30 credits possible)
Skill area courses
(min. 0 credits needed, max. 15 credits possible;
each course is worth 5 credits)
Internship in Germany
(you can get recognition for 5-15 credits)
5 credits = 120 hours (ca. 3 weeks) + Colloquium (Berufsbezogenes Praktikum A )
10 credits= 240 hours (ca. 6 weeks) + Colloquium (Berufsbezogenes Praktikum B)
15 credits = 360 hours (ca. 9 weeks) + Colloquium (Berufsbezogenes Praktikum C)
(you can get recognition for 5-30 credits)
20 credits = 480 hours (ca. 12 weeks) + Colloquium (Auslandspraktikum A)
25 credits = 630 hours (ca. 16 weeks) + Colloquium (Auslandspraktikum B)
30 credits = 780 hours (ca. 20 weeks) + Colloquium (Auslandspraktikum C)
Contact: Language center, Studien- und Prüfungskoordination
Contact person: Zedat, Dr. Jasmin Touati
Contact person: Margherita-von-Brentano-Center for Gender Studies, Dipl.-Kffr. Heike Pantelmann
Contact person: Career Service, Christiane Berwid-Kawell
1) If you do an internship during your studies (in Germany or abroad), you do not need recognition from your department. You only have to participate in the Colloquium and write an internship report, which you submit to the Career Service (Christiane Berwid-Kawell), see procedure below.
2) In order to get the recognition of credits for internships done prior to your studies(in Germany or abroad), please come to the office hours of the ABV contact person at the JFKI, Anne Nasssauer (Room 328, please make an appointment during the office hours).
Please bring the following documents:
b) Confirmation of internship by your employer, which indicates (1) that you did the internship, (2) what you did during your internship, and (3) the duration of your internship (the confirmation should indicate the amount of hours you worked there, not only the time period). Your employer can also fill out a one-page “Letter of confirmation for a student internship/ traineeship” (either in German or English).
3) For recognition of ABV courses please contact the respective skill area (see table above).
You may also combine internships in Germany and abroad. (For two internships in Germany or an internship in Germany plus and internship abroad, you can get up to 15 Credits; for two internships abroad, you can get up to 30 Credits).
If you combine several internships you still only need to attend just one Colloquium and you still need to write just one report. Important to know: You are not allowed to register for several internship modules on Campus Management at the same time. So if you, for instance, do a three-week internship first (5 credits) and later you do a six-week internship (10 credits), you need to register for the 15 Credit module and attend 1 Colloquium (see “How does the recognition procedure work?” below).
The procedure to obtain your credits is as follows:
1) Do Internship
In case you are unsure whether your internship is in line with the subject requirements of your study major, you can also write an Email to the ABV contact person at the JFKI (Anne Nasssauer). We suggest you come to us if your internship seems quite far away from your field of study.
2) Enroll on Campus Management for
a) “Berufsbezogenes Praktikum” or “Auslandspraktikum” A, B, C depending on whether you do the internship in Germany or the abroad and depending on the duration of internship (see table above);
b) Colloquium (you find details here).
3) Write internship report (you find details here).
4) Submit your internship report to the Careerservice per E-mail and make an appointment with the Careerservice. Bring your recognition, if you did the internship before your studies. The Careerservice will register that you completed your ABV internship modul in Campus Management (this can take up to a few weeks).